Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Players Championship

Yesterday I read about Mr. Tiger Woods committing to the Players on his blog. Today I read a banner that said Lee Westwood and Rory McIlroy also committed to play the Players. The only thing that popped in my head was Tiger might actually finish this year's Players.

So Tiger will be playing the Wells Fargo Championship at Quail Hollow prior to the Players Championship at TPC Sawgrass. First of all, why wouldn't he play the Players. Its the largest purse of the TOUR. Its money in the bank if he plays the weekend, something Rory McIlroy has not done in previous starts at the Players. But I'm positive Tiger is not playing it for the money, he has plenty of that, he's playing to dominate the field.

The field at the Players, is pretty much the same field as a major. Some may say that its the 5th major on TOUR. I think so too. The competition is tough. I'm looking forward to seeing maybe a back-to-back win for Tiger. Wells Fargo at Quail Hollow should be interesting as well. A lot of fans will be watching that tournament to see what might happen at the Players.

Let's assume the top 10 players in the world will be playing at the TPC Sawgrass.

  1. Luke Donald
  2. Rory McIlroy
  3. Lee Westwood
  4. Bubba Watson
  5. Hunter Mahan
  6. Steve Stricker
  7. Martin Kaymer
  8. Tiger Woods
  9. Phil Mickelson
  10. Justin Rose
If I was Tiger, this is the field to dominate and win like his past self. If I were him, I would probably wear the black pants and red shirt all four days just to add to the "I'm back, bitches" mojo. But again this is all wishful thinking and a hollywood finish like most Tiger Woods tournament wins.

Well for now the RBC Heritage looks entertaining. Let's see we have a tight leaderboard, 3 tied for first at 4-under. Jim Furyk, the 2010 champion, is a shot back, and so is Charlie Wi. Something I found funny on the leaderboard, 2 Koreans and 17 Americans in the top 19 spots. Kevin Na is in the mix. Its funny cause I know who those guys are but I barely know the other Americans, besides Jim Furyk. I know John Daly and Two Gloves.

That's why I love this game. You don't have to be a big star or a multiple winner on the TOUR or in the world, you just need a golf game. A good week out of the 52 weeks of the year, and you have a shot at winning a golf tournament. Don't need a big sponsorship, don't need a splashy outfit, just a good enough golf game for that week. Maybe one day I'll have my week, maybe on TOUR, maybe not. But I'll keep practicing and learning, so one day I'll get a chance at my WEEK! 


No comments:

Post a Comment